Sarasota, FL (August 18, 2022) – Five outstanding, college-bound teens from the Boys & Girls Clubs of Sarasota and DeSoto Counties were recognized on Thursday, August 18 by ESPN Television sports analyst, author and philanthropist, Dick Vitale for their commitment to academic excellence and career goals. Vitale and his wife Lorraine awarded five $1,000 college scholarships to Sarasota teens to help support their postsecondary education and in recognition of being outstanding leaders within their local Club and community.
The Vitales have been presenting college scholarships to deserving Boys & Girls Clubs of Sarasota and DeSoto Counties members since 1997, bringing the total number of beneficiaries to 125 and amount of scholarship support to $125,000. This year marks the 25th Anniversary of the Vitales providing academic college scholarships to Sarasota teens at Boys & Girls Clubs of Sarasota and DeSoto Counties.
“The Vitales are wonderful champions of our mission with a passion to inspire and empower youth to reach their full potential,” said Bill Sadlo, President/CEO of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Sarasota and DeSoto Counties. “With their support, these exceptional Club members can better focus on their goals and studies, and less on the cost of tuition.”
The 2022 Dick and Lorraine Vitale Scholarship recipients are:
• Christina T. – a Riverview High School graduate who will be pursuing a Biology degree at the University of Central Florida;
• Desmen L. – a Sarasota High School graduate who will be pursuing a Psychology degree at State College of Florida;
• Fatima M. - a Riverview High School graduate who will be majoring in Neuroscience at the University of Washington, Seattle;
• Genevieve D. – a North Port High School graduate who will be majoring in Marine Science at Florida Gulf Coast University;
• William M. - a Sarasota High School graduate who will be pursuing a major in Chemistry on the Pre-Med track at Duke University.
"This scholarship means a lot to me. It helps show that even people you don't know are still trying to help support you and that is always nice for someone going into their freshman year of college." said Genevieve D., a scholarship recipient. "It can be really nerve-wracking and you always have a lot of doubts and anxieties so this helps take a little bit of the stress off and just provides that little extra boost of support. I am super grateful for it."
Dick and Lorraine’s generosity with college scholarships to Sarasota teens doesn't end there, it continues into the holiday season as they sponsor the BGCSDC annual Holiday Party, providing entertainment, a hot holiday meal, and gifts for Club members. Dick Vitale continues to motivate the next generation of leaders by his example, and Boys & Girls Club of Sarasota and DeSoto Counties is grateful to have him champion their cause.
Dick Vitale asks that you join him by supporting Boys & Girls Clubs of Sarasota and DeSoto Counties.